Alfalfa or Lucerne is a real health food. It has a very pleasant, fresh taste and is high in protein and vitamins. It is delicious eaten on its own, and also in salads, sandwiches or with many other dishes. It is a very good vegetable for ‘weight-watchers’.
HOW TO GROW: A very simple process. All you need is a jam jar or other suitable type of glass container.
1) Place the seed in the jar and soak in water for about 3 hours. Covering the top of the jar with either muslin or cotton handkerchief.
2) Pour off the water, placing the jar on a slant which will allow good drainage and ventilation.
3) Fill the jar with water, shake well and then drain off. Repeat the rinsing process twice daily, morning and evening.
4) In about 4-6 days, spouts should be ready to be eaten.
5) Once sprouted, sprouts can be refrigerated for about one week without losing flavor, provided they are placed in an airtight container.
N.B. To grow white sprouts, keep the container in a dark place; to grow green ones, keep in the light.